The OTHM Level 3 Technical Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety has been developed to enable learners to gain an understanding of health and safety practices within a working environment.
The course provides insight into how to manage workplace issues and covers the areas the learner would encounter in a health and safety role.
Aim of The OTHM Level 3 Technical Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
The aims of this program will allow learners to:
- Understand the different roles and responsibilities for health and safety in the working environment
- Be aware of safety and welfare rules in the working environment
- Understand the elements of a health and social policy
- Understand the benefits of safety management systems in organisations
- Be able to review health and safety procedures across an organisation
- Be able to communicate effectively when contributing to the maintenance of a healthy and safe work environment
- Understand the importance of working with others to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
- Understand the principles of risk assessment
- Understand about risks and control methods for workplace hazards
- Know how to manage the effects of accidents and incidents
- Be able to monitor risks and incident management
The qualification is suitable for those wishing to work in health and safety positions in a variety of sectors and will provide the real-world knowledge and skills that organizations and employers demand.
The OTHM Level 3 Technical Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety can be offered to learners from age 16
OTHM qualifications at Level 3 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities, and competencies that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to A Level of study.
The OTHM Level 3 Technical Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety consists of 3 mandatory units for a combined total of 34 credits, 340 hours of Total Qualification Time (TQT), and 220 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Health and Safety Principles in the Working Environment (10 credits)
- Maintaining a Healthy and Safe Working Environment (14 credits)
- Principles of Risk and Incident Management in the Working Environment (10 credits)
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning. The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, by Cardiff School of Certified Professionals
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are assessed and verified internally and externally. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
Learners achieving the OTHM Level 3 Technical Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety can aspire to progress towards the OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety qualification with appropriate experience.
Furthermore, learners will also have the opportunity to progress to the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Management qualification with an appropriate qualification, and progress to an MSc with UK universities and our sister company London Graduate School.